On flickr the other day, I saw an awesome AA Ken redo (someone else's ken) and I loved it. So I set out to reproduce it. First, I found a cheap "beach steven" because he had molded hair without too much height to it. He also has the newer, more barbie-like head join, so i didn't have to try to reroot the other type of ken neck--score! Then I used straight acetone to 'erase' his black hair. Bald Steven.
I used an extra big "doll" needle to root a line of hair across the front of his hairline.
There were 14 plugs. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't put plugs quite so close to his ears--they weren't necessary and were harder to glue.
I braided each plug and fastened it with a tiny rubber band.
So I made lines with the white glue in contours around his head, and pinned the braid in at strategic intervals. I let it all dry overnight, and it turned out pretty good, except in a few places the glue looked a little flaky, like he had dandruff.
Fortunately, flocking covers a multitude of sins, AND made the braids look "softer", so the flaking doesn't matter.
Once the flocking glue is completely dry, I will probably go back and fill in a little bit more where necessary. But for now, the hair is close enough for government work! I'm tickled.